Fellows in this program will learn approaches that can inform their efforts to strengthen education access and inclusion for people with disabilities in their home countries. They will also form connections with mentors at the university centers that serve as their host sites, and will plan an inclusive education project that they will implement in their home countries with support from their host mentors.
Each selected Fellow will:
- Participate in a fully-funded program with comprehensive support while in the U.S. Travel and living arrangements will be covered as well as emergency health insurance, and visa fees.
- Participate in an orientation before traveling, and an orientation upon arrival in the U.S.
- Work in a full-time fellowship placement in a U.S. work site, likely a university-based center, focused on inclusive education topics informing his or her work and goals at home. Fellows will gain first-hand knowledge about U.S. organizations and policies related to inclusive education, and build networks and relationships with U.S. peers.
- Participate in weekly web-based seminars with other Fellows and program staff to learn about inclusive education and disability rights in the U.S.
- Have an opportunity to apply, along with his or her U.S. host, for funding and support for the host to travel to the Fellow’s home country for two weeks to assist in implementing a follow-on project.
- Participate in a closing workshop and awards ceremony with other Fellows at the end of the Leadership Institute
- Participate in a 5-day Professional Fellows Congress that will include keynote and panel discussions with national thought leaders, as well as professional trainings designed to support the further development of the Fellows’ projects aimed at furthering civic engagement and civil society in their home countries
- Become part of an alumni network of Professional Fellows across the globe who have also participated in a variety of programs funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.