In order to apply to this program as a Fellow (eligibility criteria), you must …
- Be between the ages of 25 and 45;
- Be currently living and working in Brazil, Peru, Kenya or Tanzania;
- Be eligible to receive a U.S. J-1 visa
- Be proficient in spoken and written English;
- Speaking proficiency means that you are able to participate effectively in most formal and informal conversations on practical, social, and professional topics.
- Reading proficiency means you are able to read standard newspaper items, routine correspondence, reports, and technical materials in your special field.
- Have at least two (2) or more years of relevant work experience with or for non-governmental organizations (NGOs), government offices, universities, schools or community-based organizations;
- Have Professional interest and/or experience in inclusive education and disabilities;
- Be self-directed and able to work effectively in a cross-cultural setting;
- Have demonstrated leadership and collaborative skills;
- Be able to participate in the ADA International Fellowship Program in the US either in the spring (April 26th – June 3rd, 2017) or in the fall (October 11th – November 18th, 2017);
- Be committed to returning to your home country for a period of two (2) years after completion of the program (from December 2016 until December 2018); and
- Be committed to implementing an individual project that will benefit young people with disabilities and promote greater inclusive education in your region, country, or community following completion of the program.
Individuals from diverse backgrounds, including people with disabilities, are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations, including materials in alternative formats (e.g. Braille, electronic, large print), are provided upon request.
Individuals in the following circumstances are NOT eligible for this program:
- S. citizens and/or permanent residents of the U.S.;
- Spouses of U.S. citizens and/or permanent residents of the U.S.;
- Individuals participating in academic, training or research programs in the US at the time of application;
- Individuals residing or working outside their home countries at the time of application;
- Individuals who have participated in an exchange visitor program sponsored or funded by the U.S. Government (e.g., U.S. Department of State, Public Affairs Sections of U.S. Embassies or other U.S. Government agencies) who have not fulfilled their two-year home residency requirement by the time of application;
- Individuals who have applied for U.S. permanent residency in the past three years;
- Local employees of the U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. Agency for International Development are ineligible for grants during the period of their employment and for one year following the termination of employment; and
- Immediate families (i.e., spouses and dependent children) of U.S. Department of State and U.S. Agency for International Development employees for a period of one year following the termination of such employment. This provision does not disqualify self-supporting members of families who live apart from their parents;
If you meet all of the Fellows eligibility criteria, click here to apply to be a Fellow.
In order to apply to this program as a host, you must:
- Have inclusive education projects or programs in which a Fellow would be involved (such as policy development, teacher preparation, school administration, etc.);
- Have a physical worksite and activities for an international Fellow to work in for 4 weeks between May 1- May 26, 2017, or October 16-November 10, 2017;
- Can identify local relevant community service opportunities and cultural events for a Fellow to participate in;
- Identify a supervisor for a Fellow while he or she is working on site;
- Arrange for a local homestay and local transportation for a Fellow; and
- Be interested in applying for the outbound portion of this program, to travel to the Fellow’s home country to help implement his or her project (expenses paid).
If you meet all of the Host eligibility criteria, click here to apply to be a Host.